I used to dream of the perfect Panama hat and when I finally bought a nice $lx one, it took me one trip to bend information technology completely out of shape.

While in that location are how-to's on how to ready and reshape a straw lid, my start mistake was non knowing how to pack a hat without destroying it.

Just in fourth dimension for summertime, I've compiled a list of different summertime hats and handy ways to pack them then you lot can enjoy the fashion and protective benefits of a hat on your next trip.

ane. Pack a baseball game cap

This low-stakes option is sporty and cool and requires way less care than a large straw hat. The only tricky thing about these is making certain you don't identify anything heavy on the cap as to flatten it (unless information technology'due south a flat cap, of course). Information technology's generally easier to clean also.

capsule-suitcase-how-to-pack-hat

2. Coil your lid

capsule-suitcase-how-to-pack-hat-6

Some hats have a little more flexibility and so you lot can experiment with packing them flat or even rolling them. These hats are too oftentimes inexpensive options, like this black one was $10 at H&M.

3. Flatten your chapeau

capsule-suitcase-how-to-pack-hat-3

Pack your hat flat? Blasphemy, no? Not if information technology was designed that way. I have somewhat given up on the high-maintenance hats myself since I always end up getting mine wet or tossing it in my beach bag. That's why I picked up a simple sail one I can lay flat without worrying about shape.

iv. Stuff your hat

how to pack a hat

The best way to maintain the shape of your hat in a suitcase is to cradle it like the precious object it is. Lay your hat upside down in your suitcase and pack your clothing effectually it. Use pocket-sized items like socks and underwear to stuff the within.

five. Wear your hat on the plane

If all else fails, there is e'er the option to hold information technology or wear information technology in transit. I've done this quite a fleck mostly because I can't spare the room in my bag.

Any mode you slice information technology, it's then nice to have a hat in the summer. Information technology's well worth the trouble of packing a hat like a pro if it will look decent and last longer.

capsule-suitcase-how-to-pack-hat-2

You can wear them, hold them, or fifty-fifty purchase a magnetic clip designed to keep your hat hooked onto your luggage or tote bag.

Bonus Tip: Wear a scarf

I considered adding a section virtually hat boxes, which is totally an choice if you have a beautiful hat that requires that much intendance. Only for the average traveller, using upwards your personal item on a hat purse is probably not ideal.

But, 1 bonus tip I'll throw in is to consider packing more scarves that y'all can article of clothing to cover your head on hot days. They don't offer the same face protection, unfortunately, but they can brand a dainty stylish way to forestall getting a sunburnt scalp. Plus, scarves offer up a ton of other styling options to switch upwardly your await on a trip.

Helpful Resources